Many who have known me for while may be surprised to discover that something has seriously changed in my beauty routine. My days of waking up and spending an hour and a half on my face are over. I’m happier than ever and finally beginning to feel so comfortable in my own skin that I don’t feel the need to ‘cake it all on’ anymore, so to speak. And I’m busy. Like REALLY busy. My feelings about myself have changed, my priorities have changed, and the amount of time I have in a given day to spend on getting ready has certainly changed. So I’ve made some changes to my beauty routine accordingly.
I used to be the kind of person who literally wouldn’t walk out the door without nearly a full face of makeup on. Funny how things change. Now nearly half of my days are spent without any on at all, and I like that. You start to realize after a while that you don’t need it. It is however something I still enjoy doing. So for my work days, or when I feel like doing something a little extra with myself-I’ve come up with a quick little fix for feeling pretty, yet still minimal. Here’s some cool tips I’ve come up with to simplify your beauty routine and some of my favorite products to complete the task. Stay looking beautiful without the extra unnecessary fluff.
1. I’ve skipped the foundation, and am now grabbing a great concealer. Seriously. It’s saving me time, and has me feeling overall more natural throughout the day. I don’t look in the mirror after a ten-hour work day just to discover I have a half-melted face. I just look like me. I’m a big fan of Dermablend and have been using many of their products for several years now, but their Quick Fix Concealer is by far my favorite product they’ve produced. I can’t stress enough how great the coverage and wear is in this concealer. It comes in stick form, so its easy to apply as needed without all the extra product waste. I just swipe it right under my eyes and in any little blemished areas, and buff it out with my stippling brush. So simple.
2. I moved on to a powder that does work. Oil control is probably the number one issue I have whenever it comes to cosmetics. I’ve tried every matte foundation, oil-free moisturizer- you name it. But Mario Badescu’s Special Healing Powder is the one product I’ve used thats got me noticing a difference in the appearance of my skin throughout the day. It’s a sulfur based powder that helps to absorb excess oil and reduce the appearance of blemishes and redness AND helps to rid your skin of them! This stuff is amazing and only $12!
3. My blush is no longer just blush. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about makeup, its that you can do a lot with a little. Tarte’s Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Blush is great for a soft sweep of color across the cheeks, but another trick I love to use with this gorgeous shade is to swipe just a bit right into the crease of my eyelids. This creates a beautiful eye-opening effect on the eye and also ties the whole face together, creating a light natural look.
4. Grab a highlighter that’s a twofer. When I first went to pick out my most recent highlighter I nearly grabbed a liquid highlighter. I’m certainly glad that I didn’t, because I now only go to grab my highlighter because it doubles as my favorite lid color! I sweep some across my lids, cheekbones, along the bridge of my nose, and on my cupids bow and call it a day. I’m a big fan of the NARS Miss Liberty Highlighting Blush, which is a really neutral shade with just a wee bit of shine and pretty perfect for all skin tones!
5. Finish it all off with a non-clumping mascara! Nothing says not-natural like a wad of clumped lashes. After much trial and error I’ve finally found a mascara that doesn’t leave my lashes looking chunky. Benefit has come up with the perfect formula to create a long, soft, enhanced looking lash with their new Roller Lash Curling Mascara. The wand is small with tiny firm bristles that evenly coat and separate lashes to prevent from clumping. It’s truly a life-saver.
Going more minimal with your look doesn’t mean you have to feel undone. And just because you choose to wear makeup, doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice your time. Whether you’re looking to cut down your time in front of the mirror, or even just looking to find a quick routine to get you feeling pretty without all the extra muck- tying these tips into your morning make-up time can make quite the difference. Got more tips for saving time on your beauty routine? Tell me all about them in the comment section below!